Thanks David!

On the topic of Solent stays, I think I have two options.  (1) A true
removable Solent supported  at the top of the mast by the backstay and at
the deck near the bow fitting  or (2) possibly, a staysail stay supported
at the spreaders (one set) by the aft lowers and at the midforedeck via the
track that is there (not sure why) with a supporting below-deck cable (in
line with the stay of course)  to a bulkhead.  Not having to crawl to the
bow in a blow,  COE moved further back, and possibly better sheeting angles
are potential benefits.  The Solent seems like a much easier option with
more varied (larger) sails possible.   I'll have to ponder this a bit!

On the topic of internal venting -- I am embarrassed (and proud) to admit
that I still have an Atomic 4 gas engine so internal venting is not a great
option for me.

On GRIBS, I had a sat phone on this trip and probably should have figured
out how to use it to download gribs but was too busy before departure to
figure that out.   I will next time.  Thanks.

On reefing -- yes, a cam cleat or three clutches would help a lot.
Managing all the loose reefing lines at the boom, particularly after the
third reef, is also a bother when the boat is pitching and the wind is
howling.   I was glad to have a line bag at the boom but all that line can
be hazardous!