The vane pumps we have for raw water are self priming and have lift meaning
that they will suck up water and don't need vented.  The caveat is that
they don't suck air or pump air as well as they do water so it does take
some time to prime.

You're right for fresh water cooled systems.  The thermostat is in the
glycol loop not the sea water flow path.

Josh Muckley
S/V Sea Hawk
1989 C&C 37+
Solomons, MD