Jonathan:

Everyone does something different....every Spring, I save some of the plastic shrinkwrap for at least two purposes.....one, to cover the mast collar when the mast is unstepped in the Fall.

Second, is for an oil change in the Fall.....I take a piece of the plastic shrinkwrap and place it (tape it) under the oil filter before the filter is unscrewed.....the plastic is slightly folded and at the bottom of it I have a used plastic food container......as I unscrew the oil filter, the oil drains down the piece of plastic into the container and I drop the oil filter in the container followed by the plastic.....I put some paper towel below the filter just in case I miss a few drops of oil. I have now perfected this to the point where I have only but a few drops of oil on the side of the engine.

A friend punches a hole into the top of the oil filter with a small nail punch and and inserts the oil pump hose and sucks most of the oil out before unscrewing it..... I don't go the extra step.....no need to.

Rob Abbott
AZURA
C&C 32 - 84
Halifax, N.S.

On 2015-10-31 9:16 AM, Indigo via CnC-List wrote:
I will be winterizing indigo tomorrow. I am looking for help from this amazing
group on techniques used to change the oil filter while minimizing drips and
spills.  I don't seem to be able to get the old filter off without dripping oil
down the side of the engine. What am I doing wrong?

--
Jonathan
Indigo C&C 35III