Jim,
This sounds like a good plan.  I think I might try this.  I also like the idea
of taping some plastic sheet under the filter - I may even try taping a ziplock
bag under the filter in such a way that I can drop the used filter straight in
the bag.  As always, thanks to all who provided input and ideas.

--
Jonathan
Indigo C&C 35III