AZURA
C&C 32 - 84
Halifax, N.S.

On 2015-11-01 11:10 PM, Rick Brass via CnC-List wrote:

As I recall from prior posts on the list, and from reading the explanation of HINs on the USCG website, there are at least three different schemes for hull ID numbers that have been used over the years. I believe that the explanation that Chuck included below is for the current scheme.

On my old 38II, the last four characters are 0176, meaning the hell was laid down (certified?) in January 1976, making the boat a 1976 model. The presumption was that boat model years were like car model years – starting in September – so 0975 would be a 76 model and 0976 would be a 77.

But the September model year start would not meet the needs of manufacturers with longer build lead times, so a Model year format was started. M81D would be model year 81, with build started in month D. I would need to look it up again, but I think A was August, B September, etc. under this format.

Again, build schedules longer than 12 months would be a problem for the system above. For example, Pacific Seacraft is about to launch the first 62 footer, which was first laid down in the spring of 2013, with a planned launch date of June 2014. (Thumper commented that the customer doesn’t understand the “semi” part of semi-custom.) So the system was changed again. I suspect the last 4 characters of the HIN for the new Seacraft 62 will be something like D315 or even D316.

Here is a website with a pretty complete explanation: http://www.boatsafe.com/nauticalknowhow/hin.htm

Rick Brass

Washington, NC