HI Rob,

Bill Bina answered your question but the answer ended up in a separate
thread:

The M in the 4 character date code is a placeholder and has no meaning. The
year indicated is not the model year. It is the year of certification. That
basically means the date the build paperwork was generated. The date code
does not indicate model year other than by coincidence, and it does not
indicate the date completed.

Bill Bina

To add to that, before August 1, 1984 there were two different formats
permitted for a Hull Identification Number (HIN).  These two formats differ
only in the last four (4) digits.  Either you have 4 numerical
values, the first two being month and the second two year OR the last 4
digits are letter, number, number, letter.  If your HIN is the second
allowed format the first digit of the last group of 4 digits is always an M
(which doesn't mean anything), followed by 2 digits which are numbers
showing the year the construction papers were started, followed by a letter
which is the month of manufacture.

...so for HIN ZCC32053M80K

ZCC = C&C Yachts

32 = 32' LOA

053 is the Serial number of your hull, so hull no. 53 of the C&C 32

M = nothing, just a place holder

80 = 1980, the year the construction of your hull was started

K = June, the month the construction of your hull was started

...and for HIN   ZCC32277M84D

ZCC = C&C Yachts

32 = 32' LOA

277 is the Serial number of your hull, so hull no. 277 of the C&C 32

M = nothing, just a place holder

84 = 1984, the year the construction of your hull was started

D = April, the month the construction of your hull was started (or at least the
date the build paperwork was generated)

If they had started construction of your boat after August 1984 your HIN
would have followed the new (different) format.

http://www.boatsafe.com/nauticalknowhow/hin.htm

Does that help?

Ken H.
SV Salazar - C&C 37 XL