David:

I am no expert on this topic, however, I saw a similar repair this season at our club....the contractor was using an epoxy filler to fill the missing volume.....not a great deal of weight lost in the keel and a relatively simple repair......I remember he screwed a few long SS screws into the lead keel to act as an extra 'anchor' for the epoxy filler.

Rob Abbott
AZURA
C&C 32 - 84
Halifax, N.S.

On 2015-11-19 11:12 PM, David Knecht via CnC-List wrote:
Aries is now finally out of the water and I had a chance to survey the damage to the keel from my encounter with Melton Ledge last summer. I actually received a special award from the Race Committee for going up on the ledge during a race and needing to be towed off. In my defense, the marker buoy was 100 yards from where it was supposed to be and the Coast Guard repositioned it after I alerted them to the problem. The front edge of the keel is well smashed in over about a 6 inch area where it looks like the lead is actually missing. I had presumed I would pound it back into shape and then smooth, but that does not look possible now that I see it. The guy who helps out in the yard suggested using Marine Tex epoxy putty to fill in the missing volume and then smooth (angle grinder?) I am hoping that the experts on this list can give me some guidance as to how to tackle the repair. Thanks- Dave

Aries
1990 C&C 34+
New London, CT