Hi Paul,
     I did consider your proposal, but because my forward window was over
90" long, mounted on a curved surface and the area above was mostly
non-skid I was uncomfortable with that approach.  Masking tape does not
stick well to non-skid and a bonding failure at a critical time would be a
disaster.  I don't doubt that it would work well for many applications, and
might have worked for mine as well, but in the end, I was just
uncomfortable and looked for an alternative.  Mounting the guide blocks
worked very well for me.  Thanks for your post.

Gary
S/V High Maintenance
'90 C&C 37 Plus
East Greenwich, RI, USA