From: Dennis C.‎
Sent: Thursday, January 7, 2016 14:02‎
To: CnClist
Subject: Re: Stus-List Was Jib sheet - now buying sheets and halyards

I really don't get why owners don't buy extra length when getting new
sheets and halyards. The extra line in a cockpit isn't usually a big deal
if you have sheet bags.

Just like Joel says, you can cut some off the sheet to move the wear
points.

When I bought my latest set of jib sheets, I bought extra length and had
eyes put on each end. I use soft shackles so I need eyes. I can end for
end it if it is damaged near an end.

I had bought extra length on a spin halyard. When it got damaged near the
shackle end, I pulled it, cut off the damaged portion, put an eye in the
other end and re-used it. Saved me $100 bucks for a new halyard.

You can put an eye splice in a line as long as it hasn't been loaded. Once
it's loaded, it is difficult to make the eye.

Generally, you can't put eyes on both ends of a halyard because the eye
often won't pass through the masthead sheaves.

IMHO, spending an extra 10% on a sheet or halyard is good insurance against
having to replace it entirely.

Dennis C.
Touche' 35-1 #83
Mandeville, LA