From: CnC-List [mailto:cnc-list-boun...@cnc-list.com] On Behalf Of Randy
Stafford via CnC-List
Sent: Wednesday, February 24, 2016 1:49 AM
To: cnc-list@cnc-list.com
Cc: randy.staff...@comcast.net
Subject: Stus-List Racing a 30-1

Hi All,

I'd welcome any opinions you might like to share on racing a 30-1.  As
mentioned in the other thread on handicapping JAM boats, I have a choice of
racing my (new to me) 30-1 in a spinnaker boat division or a non-spinnaker boat
division (my boat is rigged for spinnaker).  We have ten-week series in my
club, and I'd have to stay in one division for a whole series (but could switch
divisions between series).  We also have occasional one and two-day weekend
races in which I'd have to choose a division.

From what I see in
http://www.ussailing.org/wp-content/uploads/DARoot/Offshore/PHRF/2014%20PHRF%20Handicaps%20Data.pdf,
 it looks like a 30-1 usually gets a PHRF rating of 174, which would be the
third-lowest rating in my club.  We've got a Capri-25 at 173, and an F-240s at
170.

One of my questions is how many crew are advisable for racing a 30-1, with
spinnaker or without.  On smaller boats (Capri-22s, J/22s, Merit 25s) we'd race
and fly spinnaker with three crew - helm, trimmer, and foredeck.  A fourth
could come in handy in heavy air.  I've gotten a couple indications that I
should have maybe twice that number for a 30-1.  What are the typical crew
positions on a 30-1?  If it makes any difference, my spinnakers have dousing
socks.

I race on a lake in Colorado.  The spinnaker division courses are upwind /
downwind, and the non-spinnaker division courses are triangles.  We generally
try to set courses so that races last 60-90 minutes.  Weather-wise we have
varied conditions from night to night.  Some nights are frickin' gusty, with
Colorado afternoon and evening thunderstorms.  Some nights are light air and we
run out of beer before finishing :)  Several times a year we get really good
conditions - a steady 15-20 kt. breeze in which everyone's at hull speed and
and trying to stay in control and / or reduce weather helm.  Sea state is not
really an issue, except for some powerboat wake and chop.

If there were more light-air nights in a series than heavy-air nights, would a
30-1 perform better against its PRHF on a triangle course, or on an upwind /
downwind course?  How many crew (some experienced, some not, all still
reasonably agile) are needed to handle a 30-1 safely under spinnaker in gusty
or heavy-air conditions?

Thanks in advance for any opinions.

Best Regards,
Randy Stafford