Gary what do you mean by "Again, in light air, a spinnaker is a big s"?

Thanks,
Randy

----- Original Message -----

From: "Gary Nylander via CnC-List" <cnc-list@cnc-list.com>
To: cnc-list@cnc-list.com
Cc: "Gary Nylander" <gnylan...@atlanticbb.net>
Sent: Tuesday, February 23, 2016 1:16:22 PM
Subject: Re: Stus-List Handicap questions for JAM racers

I assume you are talking about a mixed fleet of JAM and chute racers. We have a
Wednesday night fleet and a club on our river here in St. Michaels – and have
mixed fleets in each. The Wednesday folks allow a 10% PHRF adjustment for
non-spinnaker. It works most of the time – in heavy air (where your and my
30-1’s would be at hull speed anyway) it is enough, in light air, not enough of
an adjustment. Our courses are in pretty flat water – and end up being mostly
up and down the river which is up to a half mile wide. The 10% is not enough in
our rather light conditions.

After experiencing that, we made some further adjustments for the Saturday club
which race down the river where there is more room. We use 15% flat adjustment
for JAM and half that if you are running a cruising chute which is tacked to
the bow – no sprits and no pole allowed. It seems to work better and provides a
more equitable adjustment. Again, in light air, a spinnaker is a big s, but as
it turns out, if you only have a small or inexperienced crew and are sailing
short legs, being out there with the adjustment is better than mowing the lawn.
Both of our fleets (many of us are sailing in both series) have a pretty wide
range of handicaps.

The fast boats are not helped very much – 10 or 15% of 100 doesn’t make much of
a difference, but of 200, it does.

Gary Nylander

St. Michaels MD