You can also push stiff rigging wire into the mast, sometimes that works
better than dropping a soft line. Tape over the ends so they are smooth. A
piece of 3/16-1/4" wire won't break if it gets caught up somewhere, unlike
a fish tape. I left 15' of fish tape behind the ceiling of one boat because
it got stuck and then it got broken from enthusiastic yanking.

greatly appreciated!