Can you drill out a small limber hole? Allow the water from the forward bilge to drain back to the main bilge.
If the hole is small it's won't let a torrent of water through if there is a major leak forward - but should allow the small amount to drip through and into the main bilge.
Hole might get blocked with debris occasionally but not too hard to clean out if you leave a small stick to jab in clear.

Mark

There is no cure for birth and death save to enjoy the interval.
  - George Santayana
On 2016-04-14 12:29 PM, Ryan Doyle via CnC-List wrote:
Hey listers,

I know I have been posting lots of questions recently, so thank you for your insight and suggestions.  It's much appreciated.

My 1976 C&C 30mki accumulates water in a forward bilge compartment that is very hard to access.

My bilge pump is aft of the mast step, and while it does a good job of pumping out that area, I routinely end up with a couple gallons of water in that forward bilge that I pump out by hand.

I'd like to rig a utility pump or a bilge pump to suck the water out of that forward compartment.  It would be nice if it was automatic, but a switch is fine too.

The two setups I'm considering:

1 - I buy a very small bilge pump (ideally with an internal automatic switch) and try to squeeze it down there... possibly having to cut some of the cabin sole out and repair it <--- but I don't really want to do that.

2 - I buy a 12V utility pump and run a bilge hose down into that forward bilge and connect the outflow to my current bilge hose.  I switch it on when water accumulates in there.

Has anyone done anything like this?  Anyone have a better solution for keeping that forward area dry?

Ryan
Nobody's Bargain
1976 C&C 30mki
New York

This list is supported by the generous donations of our members. If you like what we do, please help us pay for our costs by donating. All Contributions are greatly appreciated!

greatly appreciated!