Patrick,

As others have said and that I can attest to, you will not save a boat with a
1-1/2” hole in it with a few bilge pumps.

I just got back from working on the bilge pump upgrade to my boat. My goal is
to have a small bilge pump to pull out the usual amount of water that ends up
in the bilge. I am service the existing Whale Gusher 10 manual pump located at
the helm. And I have added a Rule 2000 pump on a raised platform in the bilge
for water evacuation that the small (650 GPH) pump cannot keep up with. The new
Rule requires a new thru-hull which I will locate in the transom next to the
existing thru-hull for the Whale Gusher 10. The small pump will exit per the
C&C design, into a tee fitting in the starboard cockpit drain.

Recent pictures in the blog.

Best,
Dave Godwin
1982 C&C 37 - Ronin
Reedville - Chesapeake Bay
Ronin’s Overdue Refit <http://roninrebuild.blogspot.com/>
> On Apr 14, 2016, at 3:40 PM, Patrick Davin via CnC-List
> <cnc-list@cnc-list.com> wrote:
>
> I've been debating my bilge pump plan for a few months now, and having
> trouble deciding. What have others here decided is sufficient pump capacity?
>
> I have two Rule 800s now and am considering upgrading one to an 1100 or 2000
> gph, as a high water alarm. That will require upgrading the hose from 3/4" to
> 1 1/8", and enlarging the thruhull at the toerail. One of the bilge hoses
> runs through the stbd head (into the head cubbies) and the other runs through
> the hanging locker fwd of the head. Upgrading will require enlarging some of
> the hose holes in the boat's liner (below the cabin sole) probably, and of
> course hole sawing a larger thru hull. So it's a good deal more work than
> just replacing bilge pumps, their wiring, and adding a float switch + alarm.
>
> From Wally's page I know he installed a Rule 2000.
> http://www.wbryant.com/StellaBoat/Projects/bilgepmp/bilgepmp.htm
> <http://www.wbryant.com/StellaBoat/Projects/bilgepmp/bilgepmp.htm>
> However it sounds like Wally's LF38 had his hoses run differently - to the
> stern quarter - while mine are to stbd mid-ships.
>
> With two 800's I'm at the low end of the 1600-2000 gph capacity range
> recommended by West Marine (and yes I've read all about how actual capacity
> may be much lower, due to voltage drop, head pressure, etc). I've also heard
> it doesn't make much sense to say that bigger boats need bigger bilge pumps -
> a 20' boat will sink just as fast (or faster) with a 1.5" hole as a 38' one
> will.
>
> I'm more concerned with having the capacity to prevent the boat from sinking
> at dock if say a 1.5" thruhull disintegrated somehow. Less concerned with
> emergency pumping while onboard, because I'm not going far offshore and I
> have a lot of emergency hole plugging options to try (putty, foam, wood
> bungs, carrots, etc).
>
> -Patrick
> 1984 C&C Landfall 38
> Seattle, WA

> This list is supported by the generous donations of our members. If you like
> what we do, please help us pay for our costs by donating. All Contributions
> are greatly appreciated!

greatly appreciated!