I have a patient who was hit twice by lightning.  Once in her house - it hit a tree outside, part of the bolt bounced off, came through her window and hit her in the back of the head while she was sitting in a chair.  No reason - other than you can't effectively predict what is going to happen.

From what I've read there is so much energy flowing within a lightning bolt that it's jumping along any path it can find. Even if you offer a grounded path there can be enough excess flow that will skip off the path and damage surrounding areas.  Or if the grounding wire is not straight some of the electricity won't be able to follow the curve of the wire and will jump to other areas (thus I'm not thinking stainless chain would offer the best grounding path).

I don't have a good solution.  I'm interested in learning more from the discussion.

Mark

There is no cure for birth and death save to enjoy the interval.
  - George Santayana
On 2016-07-26 2:10 PM, S Thomas via CnC-List wrote:
I know a guy who has a length of stainless steel chain stored on deck and connected to the shrouds on each side of the boat. He dumps the chain in the water when he thinks it appropriate. His boat was hit by lightning in the past, but not since he got the chains, so he does not really know how good it works.

My big fear would be having the lightning blow out through the transducers and or thru hulls, which has been know to happen. Probably nothing will save the electronics, except maybe a portable radio stored in the oven, but the extra conductors might carry away enough energy to prevent a boat-sinking hole in the hull. At least that is the theory. There are a lot of sailboats that have been hit by lightning which failed to sink. That nothing reliable in terms of protection knowledge has come out of all of these close calls only goes to show how much luck is involved.

Last week a soft ball player in Nova Scotia was hit and survived. As she reached out to open the door on a storage shed, the shed was struck by lightning. The current went up her arm and out her foot, with only minor burns to the surface of her skin, but her clothing was "blown to bits". After a night's observation in hospital, she reported still feeling weak from having all her muscles contracted, but otherwise ok.

Steve Thomas
C&C27 MKIII
Port Stanley, ON