Other vendors don't take this approach?  Sure they do.  I've got B&G Triton
displays - can't do any updating on them without a B&G MFD.  Same is true with
all that I'm aware of.  And I'd love to buy a Maretron ultrasonic tank level
sender, it is N2K - but to calibrate it I also have to buy one of their
displays, which I have no other use for.

Graham Collins
Secret Plans
C&C 35-III #11

On 2016-09-19 9:24 PM, Dave S via CnC-List wrote:
Now sells only MFDs with optional add-ons.  Like autopilots, VHF radios,
standalone instruments...

Soooo, after a some very cordial discussion with Raymarine this week, I learned
it is impossible to update the firmware on any of the thousands of dollars of
brand new stuff on Windstar, unless I also buy a Raymarine MFD.

This is an interesting throwback strategy in this app/software/digital age,
kinda like finding out after the fact that you need to buy a $2000 Macbook Air
to update your iphone.   (Let em try that on a millenial!)

To be fair, they were quite cordial and genuinely responsive, but their
suggestions that I
-  borrow a MFD from a friend,
-  disassemble my boat and ship the bits to them when they issue an update, -
-  hire one of their 'best in the business' techs to visit,
-   or just buy one of their excellent MFDs!
left me a bit cold.  Now I'm REALLY not gonna buy one.

I did some cursory checking, and other vendors don't take this approach.

Caveat emptor.

Dave

greatly appreciated!

greatly appreciated!