You raymarine guys kill me.  Defend it to the end and drag others down when
it's obvious that Ray falls short. I've been saying it for years: friends don't
let friends buy raymarine.
Dave/others; Per Garmin FAQ, Here's the solution if/when you decide to leave
the raymarine dark side :
"The easiest way to update the device is to purchase a NMEA 2000 Network
Updater and attach it to the NMEA 2000 network that the device is connected to.
The updater will add an SD card slot to the NMEA 2000 network which will allow
and update to be sent to the device. A blank SD card with at least 300MB up to
2GB of space is also required.
To create the update SD card, please follow these instructions:
Download the latest update from the Marine Software Update Page to your
desktopDouble-click the file on the desktopWhen the window titled Marine
Product Software Update appears, click the Next buttonChoose the drive letter
that is assigned to the SD card readerClick the Next buttonOnce the update is
completed, click the Finish buttonTake the SD card and the NMEA 2000 Network
Updater to the boat. To connect the NMEA 2000 Network Updater into the NMEA
2000 network, please follow these instructions:
Connect the NMEA 2000 Network Updater's cable to the T-Connector it came
withDisconnect two T-Connectors in the NMEA 2000 network on the boatConnect the
Network Updater's T-Connector to both of the disconnected T-Connectors from
step 2To update the NMEA 2000 network, power on the NMEA 2000 network and all
accessories and insert the SD card into the NMEA 2000 Network Updater.
To know when the update is complete, please review the color of the LED on the
NMEA 2000 Network Updater:
Red - Error, no card inserted, or no update on cardOrange - Update in
progressGreen - Update completed successfullyOnce the update is complete, the
SD card can be removed from the Updater and all Garmin NMEA 2000 connected
devices and accessories will be up to date."
Boom.

Get Outlook for iOS

On Tue, Sep 20, 2016 at 7:40 AM -0500, "Frederick G Street via CnC-List"
<cnc-list@cnc-list.com> wrote:

I think Dave’s gripe had more to do with upgrading things other than the MFD;
things like instruments and autopilots.  And having to do those through an MFD
from the same manufacturer.
I don’t think I’d want to be able to upgrade a Raymarine autopilot through a
Garmin MFD; Garmin might just sabotage the process…   :^)

Fred Street -- Minneapolis
S/V Oceanis (1979 C&C Landfall 38) -- Bayfield, WI

On Sep 20, 2016, at 7:26 AM, Paul Fountain via CnC-List <cnc-list@cnc-list.com>