So, I'm a neophyte compared to you guys when it comes to electronics and
instruments etc. But I wanted an inexpensive electronic wind instrument for my
boat this year, and chose the SailTimer Wind Instrument (
http://www.sailtimerwind.com ) over the basic Raymarine i40. Given Raymarine's
announcement, maybe I made a lucky choice. :) I chose the SailTimer Wind
Instrument because I liked the idea of a solar-powered bluetooth-enabled (no
wires) masthead vane sending data to an inexpensive iOS app.

I was already familiar with the SailTimer app ( http://www.sailtimerapp.com )
from last year, and sold on its features - optimal tacking routes,
boat-specific (even sail-specific) learned polar diagrams, etc. But to be most
effective, the app needs real-time wind speed and direction information, so I
bought the instrument.

For the kind of sailing I do with my boat - club racing on a lake in Colorado -
it made the most economic sense to have a commodity device and OS (iPad or
iPhone) in the cockpit running an app from a potential marketplace thereof,
consuming an industry standard data stream over bluetooth, instead of custom
display hardware in the cockpit cabled to sensors and running custom firmware /
OS / application software. Who knows, maybe the SailTimer approach is the way
of the future.

I'm just now installing and really learning the whole setup - I ordered the
instrument in April and received it in August. So I'll write a more thorough
review later, once I've had some experience with the app and instrument
together. I'll be using the combined system for the first time in the coming
week (on Friday it's forecast to be blowing 20 gusting 30 at my lake -
woo-hoo!). But the instrument is compact and solid, and the initial setup has
been straightforward.

Best Regards,
Randy Stafford
S/V Grenadine