Just catching up on this.

I think that NMEA 2000 has removed a lot of proprietary barriers, but I agree
they all try to have some exclusivity to keep you in their herd. Garmin seems
to be the most open, probably because they are the latest Instrument Mfg. to
the party.

With regards to updating instruments, I don’t know how else you could update
them unless you had some type of processor (MFD) to interface with them,
displays don’t have that type of intellect on their own. And of course the
generation before them you couldn’t update at all, so just being able to
upgrade somehow is certainly a move forward, not backwards.

I can remember sending my old CRC80 back to Raymarine for a factory update, and
they re-sealed the screen for me as well. Better than having to buy all new
hardware for new features.

What DOES irritate me, is Navionics now telling me on my screen every time I
start, to pay for a yearly subscription for the features I already thought I
had paid for, such as routing, etc. Now that seems like a ‘Gotcha’, as they are
taking them away!

Bill Coleman

C&C 39 Erie, PA