I agree.    But just like with Navigation, there are some great navigators, but
nearly everyone else relies on technology.

Here is a nice YouTube video showing some docking gymnastics via an Optimus
joystick controlled electronic helm:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_oU26ALSLQw
<https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_oU26ALSLQw>

That said (and seen), I have been totally amazed by the skills of some of the
old salts in my area controlling their old wooden shrimp boats
as if they had some high fangled high tech gadgets.

-
Paul E.
1981 C&C 38 Landfall
S/V Johanna Rose