From: Violeta Ivanova via CnC-List <cnc-list@cnc-list.com>
Date: 11/14/16 22:34 (GMT-05:00)
To: Martin DeYoung <martin.deyo...@outlook.com>
Cc: Violeta Ivanova <vmivan...@gmail.com>, cnc-list@cnc-list.com
Subject: Re: Stus-List 1973 custom C&C 43' - hull/deck joint (toe rail
replacement?)

Martin

Great to connect with you! (Hull #1, eh?) Yes, our custom C&C 43' is X
Dimension. We call her XD. Here is more about her:
http://sailing.mit.edu/bluewater. She sails like a dream! I love that boat. It
will be fantastic to get the C&C 43' drawings from you. I'll email you
separately about that.

FYI to the list -- I called the maritime museum in Kingston, ON, earlier today.
The museum is relocating, and the archives will be inaccessible at least until
late spring 2017. Since we can't get anything from them until then, thanks even
more for all the help here!

Also answering to Ken, Leslie, Rob, Michael - thanks for the links, pictures,
and related details. Very helpful to finally "see" that joint, even though ours
is slightly different (T shaped toe rail, bolted on both sides).

I am pretty sure the toe rail on XD is the original one. We have never changed
it, and the previous owner never mentions changing it in the notes he left for
us. It's unlikely that the original owner(s) ever replaced toe rail that was
relatively new at their time. It must be the original.

It seems the consensus is no vinyl. So butyl on the hull flange bonds to butyl
under the deck edge, all that bolted through, incorporating the aluminum toe
rail? More butyl between deck and toe rail, so I guess that seals the bolts?

Since people asked, I don't have photos of the worst worn out parts on our toe
rail, sorry. The photos I posted show only the corrosion. If we were to reuse
some of the toe rail, how would one clean and treat that? What about custom
extrusion, if we can't find a match for the T-rail?

And wouldn't the hull and deck separate, once the bolts are removed? It seems
essential to do one section at a time. How big a section?

Finally, out of curiosity, I found Evening Star (with the teak rail) listed for
sale online. She is beautiful! But XD is better. :)

Violeta

On Mon, Nov 14, 2016 at 4:27 PM, Martin DeYoung