From: CnC-List [mailto:cnc-list-boun...@cnc-list.com] On Behalf Of Josh Muckley
via CnC-List
Sent: Sunday, November 20, 2016 11:53
To: C&C List <cnc-list@cnc-list.com>
Cc: Josh Muckley <muckl...@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: Stus-List 12 volt desktop compter

You mentioned USB powered, so is the Raspberry PI.  In fact that was one of my
biggest concerns.  The stability of a usb connector from a 12v boat supply just
started feeling really unreliable.  I overcame it with a UPS addon "HAT" for
the PI.  That is one nice thing about a laptop or even a tablet device.  They
don't shutdown just because of a sketchy power connection and they will auto
shutdown if the battery gets too low.

They're portable and have a considerable screen built right in.  They are also
natively designed for 12v power supplies.

I guess that's why Rasberry PI fits my needs so well.  It is a cheap device
that I can afford to ADD permanently to the boat and sustain depreciation and
obsolescence without flinching.  The user interface can be ANY of my other
personal devices and doesn't have to be permanently tied to the boat or
regulatory transported to and from.

Just my 2 cents,
Josh