Joe,

I totally agree and understand about the cost of a screen bringing the
project to a halt.  FYI a Raspberry Pi can be set up to be "headless" (ie:
no screen).  When you need to see the system you can use any device (cell
phone, laptop, tablet) to remote desktop in.  My original use for the Pi
was to multiplex my nmea 0183 signals.  This quickly grew to include
receiving AIS and backing up the GPS input.  When the new Pi 3 came out my
needs grew again to including running OpenCPN.  The latest price for a
Raspberry Pi 3 is $35 and you can do all of the aforementioned activities.

The biggest reason to use a Pi over a laptop is power draw.  The Pi 3 max
draw is 2.5A@5v=12.5w.  Thus 1amp@12v.  My laptop power supply is 90w.
Thus 7.5A@12v.  The laptop draws 7.5 times as much power to do all the same
functions.  With the Pi, I can leave it running full time and then use a
laptop/tablet/cell phone for a few moments and then leave it in
hibernate/standby until the next time I need it.  This amounts to a
considerable power savings.

Josh Muckley
S/V Sea Hawk
1989 C&C 37+