Toughbooks are widely used by police, fire, military, and construction personnel, specifically because they can be dropped, splashed, and viewed in direct sunlight outdoors. If someone has trouble seeing a Toughbook outdoors, it is either broken, a counterfeit, or had the wrong display installed as a repair.

Bill Bina

On 11/22/2016 9:09 AM, Della Barba, Joe via CnC-List wrote:

Some Toughbooks have transreflective screens and/or very bright backlights.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/OEM-Black-Panasonic-Toughbook-CF-30-Touchscreen-GPS-160GB-DVDCDRW-Extras-/322332887225?hash=item4b0c8988b9:g:vLcAAOSw7XZXiAve

This one has a 1000 NIT screen (very bright) and built in GPS.

Joe

Coquina

*From:*CnC-List [mailto:cnc-list-boun...@cnc-list.com] *On Behalf Of *Marek Dziedzic via CnC-List
*Sent:* Monday, November 21, 2016 23:08
*To:* cnc-list@cnc-list.com
*Cc:* Marek Dziedzic <dziedzi...@hotmail.com>
*Subject:* Re: Stus-List 12 volt desktop computer

You hardly ever need 90 W; that is for charging the battery _/and/_ running the computer. Most of the time you should be fine with about 20 W (this is what I measured on a number of occasions when I really wanted to know), but this is still double what your Pi 3 draws.

If you are into that old laptops, you can easily have a Toughbook for about $300 (or even less). Btw. Toughbooks, at least the ones I used in the past, had terrible screens. If you complain about iPads in the sun, forget about the Toughbook. You should have a nicely dimmed room to be able to read the screen correctly. But they had the touch screen for decades.

Marek