From: CnC-List [mailto:cnc-list-boun...@cnc-list.com] On Behalf Of Dennis C.
via CnC-List
Sent: Wednesday, March 01, 2017 17:37
To: CnClist <cnc-list@cnc-list.com>
Cc: Dennis C. <capt...@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: Stus-List Input on inflatable dinghy purchase

Two words:  Hypalon and thermoweld.

I had a glued inflatable years ago.  It essentially fell apart.  Most today are
thermowelded but do the research.  Hypalon seems to get better reviews.

I have a 9'6" Achilles.  It works well.  Not too hard to inflate/assemble.  We
store it on the foredeck or tow it when we're actively cruising.  Not hard to
lift with a halyard and cabin top winch.  Downside is it covers the solar vent.
 :(

I have a 1980's vintage Evinrude 7.5.  It's overkill and heavy.  Lift it on/off
the dinghy with a halyard.  Not too hard if you know what you're doing.  If I
had extra $$, I'd sell the 7.5 and buy a small Tohatsu 2.5 or 3 hp.  Past few
years, the 7.5 has stayed home and we just rowed.

Dennis C.
Touche' 35-1 #83
Mandeville, LA

On Wed, Mar 1, 2017 at 2:24 PM, Bob McLaughlin via CnC-List
Relocating our C&C 110 from a Midwest lake where I had no need for a tender to
now sailing on Narragansett Bay, LI Sound, Buzzard's Bay, Vineyard and
Nantucket Sounds, etc, I'm in need of a basic inflatable to serve as a tender
in harbors without a launch service.  I've used them many times on charters but
never really paid much attention to detail.

I'm looking for something relatively compact for 2-4 people that is easy to set
up and collapse and stow, so I think that's best a roll-up.  Early in my
thinking, I'm eyeing something like the 8'6" Achillies LSI-260: 4 person
capacity/820lbs, Hypalon, overall weight 64 lbs, inflatable floor, with perhaps
a ~4-5HP outboard. (Or maybe the 9'6" or 10'2" LSI versions of the same
design..) I don't think I need a boat to plane, just basic transportation.  No
davits, it will either be towed or stowed.

I welcome input from those of you with inflatable experience to share your
thoughts on brands, material, features, design, size, etc.  What factors should
I be considering as I make my selection?

Regards,
Bob McLaughlin
C&C 110 "Blue Devil"