My limited experience with the actual electronics of instrument packages is
my DataMarine Offshore Link.  All the instruments feed into a head unit and
the head unit outputs to display units.  The head also outputs/inputs 2
different NMEA 0183 channels.  Excuse my ignorance but isn't this more or
less normal?  With an 0183 data stream you can input that to just about
anything you want.

Josh Muckley
S/V Sea Hawk
1989 C&C 37+