Joe:

When I first got my boat, I raced with a 155.  It kept back-winding the
main, so I tried using a 135  with better results.  I gained six seconds in
handicap, and there was no noticeable reduction in speed.  Then I tried
racing with a 105.  I gained another three seconds; I sail just as fast,
and I point five degrees higher.  In fact, I point higher than everyone
else in my fleet, and I get to the windward mark sooner than the rest of
the fleet.  The crew can tack faster, and in light air, the sail won't flap
around like larger sails will.

Alan Bergen
35 Mk III Thirsty
Rose City YC
Portland, OR

On Mon, May 1, 2017 at 9:27 AM, Della Barba, Joe via CnC-List <
cnc-list@cnc-list.com> wrote:

> My furling genoa is barely useable for going downwind at this point, so I
> think I need another one. Has anyone ever gone small for the genoa? Instead
> of 140-150%, I am thinking of going 120-130. I have a chute for light air
> off the wind. I really hate not having good sail shape to get upwind on a
> windy day, after all that is C&Cs should be good at!
>
> I also have 2 170s, one light Dacron and one Mylar I can rig if I really
> want to, but it is very rare I get inspired to get the furling drum off.
> Those two are deck sweepers and have to tack to the stem fitting. They
> should probably go to an active racer if anyone still races with the 170
> rating.
>

> Joe
>
> Coquina
>
> C&C 35 MK I

> https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__www.
> paypal.me_stumurray&d=DwICAg&c=clK7kQUTWtAVEOVIgvi0NU5BOUHhpN
> 0H8p7CSfnc_gI&r=9w3G7Cf8YfQnrjmtuNxwDJYr3JMv9f1pAfgAJ9xXYQQ&m=
> gQirR7Pcwd03zzaACZnwzS7CNloAw0L48cPSl5VeXbQ&s=I73kq8FCsCjWUO81uu_
> afAFGxlmLHscO4O-mHJ_e_PM&e=

Alan Bergen
35 Mk III Thirsty
Rose City YC