From: CnC-List [mailto:cnc-list-boun...@cnc-list.com] On Behalf Of ALAN BERGEN
via CnC-List
Sent: Monday, May 1, 2017 15:49
To: C&C <cnc-list@cnc-list.com>
Cc: ALAN BERGEN <trya...@alumni.usc.edu>
Subject: Re: Stus-List Sail advice for C&Cs in general

Speed isn't the only thing that matters.  Compare your VMG with two different
size sails.  Even if you were to sail slower with a smaller sail, but point
higher, you could get around the course faster with a better handicap.  You can
sail with jib alone, but with much less power.  When you tack with jib alone,
the wind tends to cause you to tack past your intended course, until you have
enough speed to come back to your course.  My main has a large roach, and in
light air, the upper batten catches on the backstay.  When that happens, I have
to let the traveler go, ease the mainsheet or ease the halyard, until the
batten frees itself.

Alan