Date: Tue, 23 May 2017 08:22:54 -0700
From: Patrick Davin <jda...@gmail.com>
To: "cnc-list@cnc-list.com" <cnc-list@cnc-list.com>, PME
        <dre...@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: Stus-List Window replacement

Paul,

What did you do about the thru-bolt holes on the inside of your cabin?  Did
you fill or cover those in any way?  Are the leftover holes really ugly?

I had *thought* that the thru-bolted windows on my LF38 were a feature /
desirable attribute (for offshore strength) and that C&C had just done the
adhered windows on the more racery boats (37+) because they don't have the
port strength concern.  But reading Don Casey's article you linked, it
sounds like the thru-bolts may actually be a liability, because they cause
cracking when the plastic expands or the boat flexes.  If Don Casey thinks
VHB is strong enough for offshore then I can probably trust him since he's
usually conservative in terms of safety factors.

I'll probably do this project in the next year. I was planning to keep the
thru-bolts but if they're not necessary that will make my wife happy
because she hates the look inside (ours don't even have cap nuts, just
nylocks).

-Patrick
1984 C&C LF38
Seattle, WA