Just sharing an interesting story about 39) J-105's on Chesapeake Bay that
converted from shallow draft to 6' 6" deep draft to be more competitive back in
2003/4.   Both Rob Ball and Robert Perry stated to go as deep as you can for
best performance.

http://www.j105fleet3.org/files/knowledge/Keel%20Change%20101.pdf

However, I changed my keel from our boat's  original 7' 4" draft to a 6' 3" Rob
Ball designed keel from Mars Metals back in 2008.   The change made her a
little more tender initially, but that's better in lighter winds, and I think
she is less stiff and a little more responsive.

Chuck
Resolute
1990 C&C 34R
Broad Creek, Magothy River, Md