Hi Steve,

It sounds like your tank is constructed similar to the 35 mk-1.

I was going to remove my tank, move some house bank battery into the locker for better weight distribution and add a bladder tank, as Dennis has done. It's just that I never have time to get it done so I cruise and tolerate a sometimes leaky lid. <insert housekeeping tip> Dribble Dove dish soap inboard of the tank and under the engine to help clean the bilge as the soapy solution slowly makes its way to the bilge pump.

So, if you're ambitious go with Dennis recommendation
And if you're lazy then take the lid off and scrub the inside of the tank with a strong bleach solution, shop vac it clean, put the lid on and go sailing. It will be good for another 20 years of constant use. Pretend you will get to it next year... it's worked for me so far. :)

        cheers, Russ
        Sweet 35 mk-1