I'm guessing they were aluminum rivets.  "Every high load" rivet I
installed in a mast was stainless coated with TefGel.

However, to install larger stainless rivets, you need a BIG rivet tool like
a Marson Big Daddy.  They run about $150.

If it were me, I'd punch out the old rivets and reinstall with stainless.
Is there a rental shop around where you can rent a Big Daddy?

Dennis C.
Touche' 35-1 #83
Mandeville, LA