Interesting question, I just finished putting a vang on my 35-1. After much internal debate, and talking to Garhauer from whom I got the fittings, I went with tapped holes/screw, though drilling 8 holes in my mast and 6 in my boom wasn't the most comforting thing to do. My only logic was if the screws rip out, I can always enlarge the holes to take rivets....

Neil Gallagher
Weatherly, 35-1
Glen Cove, NY

On 7/26/2017 12:36 PM, RANDY via CnC-List wrote:
For what it's worth, my Garhauer rigid vang (not hydraulic) on my 30-1 fastens to the mast and boom with screws - six or eight screws per base plate. I had to use very specific sizes of drill bits and thread taps matching the fat deep-threaded screws Garhauer sent me. It's a solid installation and has withstood gusts nearing 40 knots multiple times these last two years. Is tapping and screwing an option for fastening your vang?

Cheers,
Randy Stafford
S/V Grenadine
C&C 30-1 #7
Ken Caryl, CO

*From: *"Dennis C. via CnC-List" <cnc-list@cnc-list.com>
*To: *"CnClist" <cnc-list@cnc-list.com>
*Cc: *"Dennis" <capt...@gmail.com>
*Sent: *Wednesday, July 26, 2017 10:02:02 AM
*Subject: *Re: Stus-List C&C 30 boomvang issue

I'm guessing they were aluminum rivets. "Every high load" rivet I installed in a mast was stainless coated with TefGel.

However, to install larger stainless rivets, you need a BIG rivet tool like a Marson Big Daddy. They run about $150.

If it were me, I'd punch out the old rivets and reinstall with stainless. Is there a rental shop around where you can rent a Big Daddy?

Dennis C.
Touche' 35-1 #83
Mandeville, LA