Jim;

Dennis is right in pointing out that you can use any light you chose on your
boat – so long as it meets the INTERNATIONAL requirements for color, arc, and
visibility that are encompassed in the COLREGS and the CFR that he referenced.
Now if you ARE using a candle in a Pringles can, you might have a problem after
a collision … and it seems pretty likely that you will get to know more than
your share of Coasties. But if you use good quality bulbs from reputable
sources, you won’t have a problem.

That said, Aquasignal is, strictly speaking, correct when they say that their
fixtures are no longer “certified” if you use someone else’s bulbs. But that’s
a big whoop and totally irrelevant to an individual boater.

The performance, testing, and labeling requirements for certification are
spelled out in 33CFR, Chapter 1, Subchapter S, Part 183, Subpart M. Among other
things, the regulations contain the following passage:

§ 183.801 Applicability.

This subpart applies to recreational
<https://www.law.cornell.edu/definitions/index.php?width=840&height=800&iframe=true&def_id=f35484dfcb0c265deca1ef21656e7496&term_occur=1&term_src=Title:33:Chapter:I:Subchapter:S:Part:183:Subpart:M:183.801>
 vessel manufacturers, distributors, and
<https://www.law.cornell.edu/definitions/index.php?width=840&height=800&iframe=true&def_id=5256fe34d71d8f3898c91294b214c70f&term_occur=1&term_src=Title:33:Chapter:I:Subchapter:S:Part:183:Subpart:M:183.801>
 dealers installing such equipment in new recreational
<https://www.law.cornell.edu/definitions/index.php?width=840&height=800&iframe=true&def_id=f35484dfcb0c265deca1ef21656e7496&term_occur=2&term_src=Title:33:Chapter:I:Subchapter:S:Part:183:Subpart:M:183.801>
 vessels constructed after November 1, 2002.

So unless you are building recreational boats for sale in the US (lights for
commercial vessels are covered by a different CFR) the requirement for
certified lights does not apply to you.

Rick Brass

Washington, NC