Before buying a new starter I would try jumping the big terminals on the
starter with a big screw driver and test the starter. If it fails to jump into
action or hesitates, there are rebuild shops around that rebuild starters and
alternators for cars and boats. I had mine rebuilt in 2005 for $75 at a local
shop. Google it.

If instead, the starter operates when jumped, there is no problem there, I
would jump the smaller terminals with a screwdriver and see if it pulls in
reliably.

If no problem there I would clean all of the wiring terminals between the start
button and the starter solenoid. The starter solenoid gets it's ground through
the starter mounting to the engine block so clean the ground terminal on the
engine too. Unmounting the starter, cleaning the mating surfaces and remounting
may also improve the ground.

Many engines come with a wiring harness with a quick disconnect coupling with
12 wires in it that can become a problem. Follow the wire from the starter
button to through this coupling to the solenoid and the positive 12V wire that
goes from the battery through the coupling to the engine gage panel. Cut them
out of the coupling and use a separate connection for each to improve the
circuit voltage. Reroute any wiring that goes through the bilge to keep it dry,
and not loose voltage to a short to water.