From: Dennis C. via CnC-List<mailto:cnc-list@cnc-list.com>
Sent: Tuesday, September 12, 2017 14:21
To: CnClist<mailto:cnc-list@cnc-list.com>
Cc: Dennis C.<mailto:capt...@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: Stus-List Deal on starter from Mastry

Agree with Rick.  Universal diesel are configured that way today.  Press the
pre-heat button activates the glow plugs, silences the oil pressure alarm and
provides power to the starter solenoid.

Dennis C.

On Tue, Sep 12, 2017 at 12:00 PM, Rick Brass via CnC-List
Ron;

Yes, there is a voltage drop from B+ to ground when the glow plug button is
pushed. But the current is flowing from B+ to a glow plug relay and then to
ground, and not through the glow plug button. The button passes a current of
only an amp or two to close the relay.

If the voltage drop from the glow plugs causes the starter to not operate, and
if the buttons themselves are not worn (which is highly likely after 20-40
years), then I’d suspect a developing problem in the starter or solenoid, or
corrosion is the wiring of the start circuit.

The idea of having the start button powered from the glow plug button is to
make you use the glow plugs when starting, and thus ensures easier starts. At
one time that was a pretty common configuration on diesels – as a matter of
fact, automotive diesels still do it now, except the activation of the glow
plugs is controlled by the on-board software which delays the activation of the
starter slightly to let the glow plugs take effect. One slight but additional
result of the start button being powered from the glow plug button is to
eliminate the chance of a defective start button causing damage to the starter
and related components, or depleting your battery.

One wonders about the experience level of the mechanic you talked to.

Rick Brass
Washington, NC