I have to push the starter button several times before the starter turns
the engine over.  I thought it was the starter button.  I'd better check
that out before I get into trouble, and cant start the engine in an
emergency.

Speaking of an emergency, after finishing a race, yesterday, we dropped the
chute and started the engine, as we approached a railroad bridge.  We
suddenly smelled smoke, and when we opened the cockpit hatch, smoke poured
out.  After closer inspection of the engine, we discovered the alternator
belt had been slipping,  It got hot, melted and got stuck to the engine
pulley.  Luckily I had an extra belt on board, and a half hour later the
repair was completed.

Alan Bergen
35 Mk III Thirsty
Rose City YC
Portland, OR

On Mon, Sep 11, 2017 at 6:53 PM, Dan Grant via CnC-List <
cnc-list@cnc-list.com> wrote:

> I have a universal M 18 that I have to push the starter A few times to get
> it going it always works but I fear someday it won't
> I looked into getting a new starter and my parts guy said congratulations
> you have the most expensive starter I've seen $1000
> I can get a new Kubota starter which would work fine for about 100
> Very confusing
> I looked it up and there is something about running A stronger wire to the
> starter
> Maybe that's the problem?
> I'd like to know myself
>
> Dan
> 1970 Cv hull 148
> Ipswich
>
> Sent from my iPhone
>
> On Sep 11, 2017, at 5:16 PM, Francois Rivard via CnC-List <
> cnc-list@cnc-list.com> wrote:
>
> Mastry (www.mastry.com
> <https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=http-3A__www.mastry.com&d=DwMFaQ&c=clK7kQUTWtAVEOVIgvi0NU5BOUHhpN0H8p7CSfnc_gI&r=9w3G7Cf8YfQnrjmtuNxwDJYr3JMv9f1pAfgAJ9xXYQQ&m=SGrZZ_M01hbwr7besw5UXJCtj2WtZJtybSOomm4IR7w&s=_OEKXpYAlh8nO3LIUkWQ-oN0vUlnKr3H3wi0SQSREFY&e=>)
> does it again! I just replaced the starter on Take Five this weekend and
> got a sweet deal on a re-man Hitachi unit: US $128.44 + shipping. Mastry's
> the best! They always have the best price, they even beat eBay and the
> shipping is super fast.
>
> That's for a real deal Yanmar / Hitachi unit confirmed to fit using my
> 3gm30F's serial number.
>
> Also the starter comes with a 18 months warranty, way better than the
> Yanmar 6 mos new parts warranty.
>
> The problem on my old starter?  I suspect there was a bad winding. It
> would sometimes take 2-3 button pushes to get it going.
>
> -Francois
> 1990 34+ "Take Five"
> Lake Lanier, GA

> https://www.paypal.me/stumurray
> <https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__www.paypal.me_stumurray&d=DwMFaQ&c=clK7kQUTWtAVEOVIgvi0NU5BOUHhpN0H8p7CSfnc_gI&r=9w3G7Cf8YfQnrjmtuNxwDJYr3JMv9f1pAfgAJ9xXYQQ&m=SGrZZ_M01hbwr7besw5UXJCtj2WtZJtybSOomm4IR7w&s=9mItIVeR4b5RVurRijjLdqAqU4omH4HMZbMyHcVcpBs&e=>

> https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__www.
> paypal.me_stumurray&d=DwICAg&c=clK7kQUTWtAVEOVIgvi0NU5BOUHhpN
> 0H8p7CSfnc_gI&r=9w3G7Cf8YfQnrjmtuNxwDJYr3JMv9f1pAfgAJ9xXYQQ&m=SGrZZ_
> M01hbwr7besw5UXJCtj2WtZJtybSOomm4IR7w&s=9mItIVeR4b5RVurRijjLdqAqU4omH4
> HMZbMyHcVcpBs&e=

Alan Bergen
35 Mk III Thirsty
Rose City YC