You raise good points.  My guess is that the 3M rep did not consider the
expansion/contraction issue or the issue of wanting space to squeeze in
sealant.  Also, 4991 is “more conformable” if you have an uneven surface
(although mine is flat).

From: Gary Russell via CnC-List
Sent: Thursday, December 14, 2017 3:49 PM
To: C&C List
Cc: Gary Russell
Subject: Re: Stus-List Window replacement

The problem with VHB 5952 is that it's only available in 0.045" thickness which
is too thin for this application IMO.  I prefer VHB 4991 at 0.090".  VHB 5952
is not thick enough to deal with the surface variations of the coach roof, the
different rates of expansion of the gel coat vs. the Plexiglas and it doesn't
allow enough space for the sealant to be forced in.  So far, I've had no
problems with the 4991 but I recognize that 3M knows a lot more about the
adhesion characteristics of the two variants than I do.

Gary

On Thu, Dec 14, 2017 at 1:41 PM, Matthew L. Wolford via CnC-List