When I replaced my portlights on my 29-2, I became quite paranoid about the
spray paint attacking the plexiglass and undermining its longevity. I tried
looking at the technical data sheets for various paints like Krylon and found
they contained chemicals that would theoretically harm the plexi.

My approach instead was to use just Dow 795 for the entire job. The slightly
tricky part was making 3/16”x3/16”x3/4” spacers with cured 795 to allow enough
silicone between the fibreglass and plexi. The rate of expansion between the
dissimilar materials being the concern, and having enough silicone thickness to
accommodate that movement. I made up an mdf board shaped slightly smaller than
the portlights to hold it in place while the 795 cured for 10 days or whatever
it was. The mdf was wedged against the portlights against the lifelines.

The 795 just appears black at the overlap and the portlights have held up for 2
years of big temperature swings in Toronto, Canada.

Derek McLeod
Aileron
1983 C&C 29-2
Toronto