I sounds like having the bolts loosen is the root cause.

When I got my straight drive the coupler was held by carbon steel bolts
with lock washers and nuts.  They never came loose.

When I added a vibration dampener the new bolts came with nylock nuts.
They advised torqing them to the correct spec.  I've never had them come
loose either.

Lock nuts, lock washers, locktite, and/or the proper torque are the only
suggestion I can provide based on your description.

Josh Muckley
S/V Sea Hawk
1989 C&C 37+
Solomons, MD