I’ve actually been following this discussion, though I don’t foresee the need
for a mid-ship cleat on Imzadi.

Imzadi is one of the mid-70s C&Cs that came with a winch farm around the mast.
I’ve led lines aft and eliminated the winches, but kept the cleats on the cabin
top. The spring lines in my home slip are attached high on pilings so they can
be routed over the lifelines and to the cabin top mid-ship cleats. Since I
leave a set of lines permanently attached at the home slip, and they are preset
for length with the eye toward the boat, this makes entering the slip and tying
up pretty easy.

On the bigger boats I’ve worked on (up to about 85 feet or so) and observed,
the normal procedure is to run the springs from the bow and stern and attach
them to the dock in the middle. That is the practice I almost always use when
on a dock other than my home slip. And that is the way my 25 is secured in her
slip.

On the 72 foot schooner I used to captain, we had prerigged bow and bow spring
through the forward hawse hole, and prerigged stern and aft spring lines
through the aft hole. We did have a short-ish (25 ft. or so) breast line
through a mid-ship hawse, but that line was always the first line to the dock
so I could use the engine fore and aft to snug the boat up to the dock before
setting dock lines, and it was removed and coiled after the other lines were
secure.

I guess I’m curious why so many other C&Cers have added mid-ship cleats?

Rick Brass

Imzadi  C&C 38 mk2 #47

la Belle Aurore  C&C 25 mk1 #225

Washington, NC