My Raymarine wheel pilot has given up the ghost and I am considering a below
deck hydraulic replacement. The cost is reasonable since most of my Raymarine
stuff will be used by the hydraulic unit.

My concern is how responsive (or not!) the wheel will be when the pilot is
disengaged. With the wheel pilot, there was little difference.

I have steered a boat with hydraulic steering once (a Whitby 42) whose entire
steering (auto or not) was hydraulic. The response of
that system was so bad I swore I would never have anything to do with another
hydraulic unit.

Of course, when not engaged I understand that the pilot would not be steering
the boat--OTOH, it is still connected in some manner.

Since I mostly PHRF race the boat, I need to have the wheel/rudder move without
additional resistance from the auto-pilot.

Is this something I should be concerned about or is the wheel 'free' when the
auto-pilot is not engaged?

Thanks,

Charlie Nelson
1995 C&C 36 XL/kcb