12.9 reading with charger off.  It's a smart charger and will slow and then
stop charge as battery charges.  It is sitting with charger attached just
reading voltage

Thanks, Danny
-------- Original message --------From: Josh Muckley via CnC-List
<cnc-list@cnc-list.com> Date: 7/15/18  8:04 AM  (GMT-05:00) To:
cnc-list@cnc-list.com Cc: Josh Muckley <muckl...@gmail.com> Subject: Re:
Stus-List Charging issues
12.9v on or off the charger?  That's too low if on the charger.  Even the
smallest trickle chargers put out ~13.5v
It is possible to have a one of the six cells go bad, reducing the battery's
appropriate full charge voltage to 10.6 instead of 12.7  the charger is dumb
and keeps trying to put as much as 14.7 into the battery.  This extra voltage
overcharges the battery and boils off electrolyte.  Under this condition the
battery voltage may never get to 14.7 but it can easily get to 12.7.  It will
quickly decay and stabilize near 10.6-ish when the charger is removed.  This
may take a few hours to occur.  If/When a load is applied the voltage will drop
dramatically and stabilize near 10.6v.  If this is the case then you need a new
battery.
Josh MuckleyS/V Sea Hawk 1989 C&C 37+Solomons, MD

On Sun, Jul 15, 2018, 7:29 AM Danny Haughey via CnC-List