Roger,

I sailed a C&C 25 Mk 1 (1975) for 14 years with a variety of outboards hung
on the transom over the course of ownership.  My boat had also been equipped
originally with the inboard Vire gasoline powered 7hp which the previous
owner had replaced with a 9.9hp Evinrude 2 stroke outboard.  Because the PO
wanted to keep using the controls from the original engine, he outfitted an
electric start Evinrude Yacht Twin and kept the cockpit mounted controls in
play.

All good, but the extra weight of an outboard on a reasonably light duty
transom mandated reinforcement with 3/8" plywood where the outboard bracket
was attached.  Even then, stress cracks appeared for the reason described by
David stated: The boat tends to hobby horse in a seaway, especially heading
across waves and the outboard shaft will leap out of the water.  When that
happens the engine over-revs and once the shaft gets submerged again, there
are significant force transmitted to the engine bracket and transom.  So
should you be shopping for an outboard, try to find the lightest one
possible while having sufficient power to push the boat against tide and
current (8hp is pretty good) but see if you can find an EXTRA Long shaft
motor (25" or longer).  That will help the prop stay in the water.  Mine was
simply a long shaft at 20" and it had "issues".  Also, 4 stroke engines will
typically be less noisy, cleaner burning, and far more fuel efficient albeit
somewhat heavier.  They're also more tolerant of ethanol mixed in with the
gasoline than 2 stroke engines.   I had twin 6 gal tanks set into the
furthest aft cockpit locker across the transom, but be aware that even then,
it can cause a potential fire danger unless it is  well ventilated.

Richard's experience with his boat is pretty similar to mine.  The boat
sails like a much bigger boat and having marginal stand up headroom below on
a 25' boat is quite unusual.  Unlike Richard, I had tracks installed for my
150 genoa in addition to my working jib and used the toe rail for adding
snatch blocks for the spinnaker control lines.  The early 25 had solid
fiberglass hull but a cored deck and if you start adding any deck hardware,
make sure to thoroughly seal the core when drilling holes.  Finally, the
boat didn't have an anchor locker so it took some time to figure out the
best way to deploy an anchor when stowing the anchor and line in the
lazarette.  All told, it was a fun boat and carried our family of 4 on lots
of weekend adventures.  Boat camping at its finest!

Cheers,

Chuck Gilchrest

S/V Half Magic

1983 Landfall 35