Our 25-2 ('81) was in good shape when we bought her in February 2017.  I
never thought once in pulling the OMC for an outboard, the transom is just
too nice and it pushes us easily to 6kts, though I rarely exceed 3.5kts.  A
decision made more firm with the purchase of a spare OMC. I priced an
electric drive and then *quickly *eliminated that possibility $$$$.

Look below the companionway where the traveler is fixed.  The boat is cored
there as another point of close inspection.  It's tough to examine because
of the cabin liner hides the sandwich construction.  I pulled every
fastener and resealed it once I found out the cockpit seat was cored when
installing a Raymarine ST2000 tiller pilot.  Check every inside fastener
and backing plate for telltale color that could indicate seepage.  This
goes for the cleat backing plate ahead of the anchor locker.  It should be
dry without discoloration.  Naturally pull up the cabin sole and inspect
the keel bolts (I thought wheel bolts on my huge International tractor were
large!).

Any discoloration is a concern until eliminated by testing.

Check Yahoo groups for the OMC Saildrive list, subscribe and check for
comments before radically changing the propulsion system.  Someone there
will want to buy your OMC if you go for replacement. I would almost go for
a diminutive high output trolling motor before I would install an outboard,
suitable for an inland lake, no cruising.

I regularly single hand with ease as everything runs to the cockpit, even
the downhaul and emergency release for the asym tacker by ATN (with sock).

bd
S/V Tapestry
25-2