This can be a real issue between racers and never-racers. Forget racing, just
imagine you are on starboard. You have never raced a boat in your life and you
think being within 50 yards of another boat is very close. I have raced my
whole life and think clearing your stern (or bow) by 12 inches is a day that
ends in Y. I aim to clear astern of you by whole 6 feet! This is a huge gap to
me and to you looks like you are being attacked by a maniac and might do any
random thing to “get away from the crazy person trying to run me over” and end
up turning right in front of me.
The non-racer  on starboard that tacked at the last second was in the wrong,
but one should make a hail to let non involved boats know you see them and will
clear them.
IMHO
Joe
Coquina