Interesting case.  As an exercise, I looked it up in the Canadian Colregs
(http://laws-lois.justice.gc.ca/PDF/C.R.C.,_c._1416.pdf
<http://laws-lois.justice.gc.ca/PDF/C.R.C.,_c._1416.pdf>) before reading the
other replies, to see whether I interpret the same way as others (I’ll read the
other replies after sending this).

First, the RRS don’t apply because none of the vessels were participating in an
official race of an organization affiliated to a World Sailing member national
authority, whose NOR / SIs stated the race would be run by the RRS, etc.

Second, I assume visibility was good enough that Section III of the Colregs
didn’t apply.

It seems to me the port-tack racer violated Rule 16: "Every vessel which is
directed to keep out of the way of an- other vessel shall, so far as possible,
take early and substantial action to keep well clear.”  By crossing close
astern he didn’t keep well clear.

Some might argue that the non-racer violated Rule 17(a)(i) "Where one of two
vessels is to keep out of the way, the other shall keep her course and speed.”
But Rule 17(a)(ii) exonerates the non-racer in my interpretation: "he latter
vessel may however take action to avoid collision by her manoeuvre alone, as
soon as it becomes apparent to her that the vessel required to keep out of the
way is not taking appropriate action in compliance with these Rules.”.  Rule
17(b) may also be germane: "When, from any cause, the vessel required to keep
her course and speed finds herself so close that collision cannot be avoided by
the action of the give-way vessel alone, she shall take such action as will
best aid to avoid collision.”  The non-racer may have panicked and tacked
thinking he could avoid collision that way (rightly or wrongly), since the
port-tack racer was crossing so close astern.

Once the non-racer completed her tack, Rule 13 also obligates the port-tack
racer to keep clear, as the overtaking boat.

Some might also argue that both boats violated, say, Rule 8(d) "Action taken to
avoid collision with another vessel shall be such as to result in passing at a
safe distance. The ef- fectiveness of the action shall be carefully checked
until the other vessel is finally past and clear” and Rule 8(e) "If necessary
to avoid collision or allow more time to as- sess the situation, a vessel shall
slacken her speed or take all way off by stopping or reversing her means of
propulsion.”  But in my opinion only the port-tack racer violated those rules,
because he was the give-way boat to begin with.

My $0.02.  But I’m not Canadian, eh.

Cheers,
Randy Stafford
S/V Grenadine