Yes

From: CnC-List <cnc-list-boun...@cnc-list.com> On Behalf Of ALAN BERGEN via
CnC-List
Sent: Friday, September 21, 2018 12:30 PM
To: C&C <cnc-list@cnc-list.com>
Cc: ALAN BERGEN <trya...@alumni.usc.edu>
Subject: Re: Stus-List Colregs question for boats not in an organized race

In a port/starboard situation, the starboard boat must hold her course while
the port boat must keep clear. There is no requirement for port to pass astern
of starboard, only that she keep clear. If she could have passed in front of
starboard without starboard having to change course, then she would have
satisfied the colregs. If the starboard boat had held her course, and the port
boat had been able to keep clear, then the colregs rules would have been
satisfied.  Because the starboard boat tacked too close, she was at fault. The
fact that two boats were "racing" is immaterial. However, it would have been
prudent for the port tack skipper to hail the starboard skipper with his
intentions. I do that all the time when racing, so there is no
misunderstanding. It also protects me if the other boat does something that
causes a collision.

Alan Bergen

35 Mk III Thirsty

Rose City YC

Portland, OR

On Fri, Sep 21, 2018 at 10:11 AM, Hoyt, Mike via CnC-List