Hi Chris, On my girlfriend's boat, she has the same engine. When starting we
set the throttle to about 1/4 to 1/3 then start cranking. Sometimes I'll engage
the compression release to get the engine spinning a little faster (about 10
secs) then release it. Another thing we do is flush the engine with fresh water
before putting the boat to bed. Hope this helps.
Doug Mountjoy Sv Rebecca Leah LF39Port Orchard YC. WA

Sent from my T-Mobile 4G LTE Device
-------- Original message --------From: Chris Graham via CnC-List
<cnc-list@cnc-list.com> Date: 10/22/18  09:38  (GMT-08:00) To:
cnc-list@cnc-list.com Cc: Chris Graham <sabre28...@yahoo.com> Subject:
Stus-List diesel engine staring procedure
I have a quick question about the specifics of starting a Yanmar SB8 single
cylinder engine. The previous owner also disconnected the kill switch and
turned off the engine with the key so i want to reattach the cable this spring.
Is there a specific amount of throttle to set it at prior to turning it over? I
think I remember by old Volvo-Penta had to be positioned at 3/4 open and then
immediately dropped down to idle once the engine turned over.
anything special I need to know? No real information out there and the old
service manuals are pretty much impossible to locate at this point.
Thanks for your suggestionsChris