Yup  same with 3QM30.   Always starts.  Half throttle and quickly modulate upon
starting.  Cold or otherwise with no glow plug.

>From my Android....

________________________________
From: CnC-List <cnc-list-boun...@cnc-list.com> on behalf of Jeremy Ralph via
CnC-List <cnc-list@cnc-list.com>
Sent: Tuesday, October 23, 2018 6:16:20 PM
To: cnc-list@cnc-list.com
Cc: Jeremy Ralph
Subject: Re: Stus-List diesel engine staring procedure

Hi Chris,

I don't know about your specific engine but for my old Yanmar 2QM20 with no
glow plug I put the throttle to greater than 1/2, turn it over and she starts.
I'll then throttle down to idle put her in forward and give it a nice warm up
under load.

To stop it, as advised in the users manual, I throttle down until it stalls
then turn off the key to stop the buzzing.  I do have a decompression handle
but I never use it and I'm able to start in below freezing temperatures;
however, I'll often run my diesel heater in the cabin a bit first to warm up
the boat before starting in the really cold.

Before I knew to put the throttle up so high to start it I burnt out the old
starter trying to start on a cold day.  After that, I replaced with a new
starter and beefed up the wires form the battery to the starter.  Now she
starts no problem.

Cheers,
  Jeremy

On Monday, October 22, 2018, 5:51 PM, svrebeccaleah via CnC-List

Hi Chris,
On my girlfriend's boat, she has the same engine. When starting we set the
throttle to about 1/4 to 1/3 then start cranking. Sometimes I'll engage the
compression release to get the engine spinning a little faster (about 10 secs)
then release it.
Another thing we do is flush the engine with fresh water before putting the
boat to bed.
Hope this helps.